Kernel Compile Question

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 4 16:25:32 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 19:52, Frank Kumro wrote:
> I am going to try to compile the 2.4.23 kernel and I am just wondeing
> what exact options do I have to include to have my network card operate.

I have yet to compile that kernel version. I haven't recompiled my
kernel on my new Fedora Core1 install yet. However, I thought, I'd look
at the options today, see if I can offer some suggestions...

First off, I am looking at the kernel source tree currently
installed(2.4.22-1.2115) on my linux box. This is a different kernel
than you are looking at. As such, you may have slightly different
options. However, it should be roughly the same. The choices for getting
your ethernet card working are likely the same...

General Setup -> Networking Support (YES)

Networking -> Packet socket (not positive, but go with help
recommendation) (YES)
Networking -> Unix Domain sockets (YES)
Networking -> TCP/IP networking (OF COURSE)
Networking -> IP: kernel level autoconfiguration (NO)
Networking -> IP: DHCP support (NO)

Network device support -> Network device support (YES)
Network device support -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (YES)
<NOW find your specific ethernet card driver and say (YES)>

>From looking and memory, I believe that is all you need. As long as you
have ALSO compiled in support for the BUS upon which the ethernet card
is communicating(PCI or ISA) then I would expect it to work. Proper
configuration should suffice after that.

See if that helps at all.

KEG