Linux file server

cliff at cliffmeyers.com cliff at cliffmeyers.com
Fri Aug 22 08:23:52 EDT 2003

Mark, Robert,

Thanks to both of you for your input.

The file server is going to hold data for a 15-person office, where there should
*never* be more than 5 concurrent users.  In fact, I'd be surprised if more than
3 people were actually copying / saving files at a time, but I think 5 is a very
safe number to use.

I know it's foolish to buy a system without the capacity for some growth, but in
our situation we won't hire more than 1 person a year for the next 5 years.

I must admit that I have a hard time believing the IDE drives will hurt
performance too much.  I run IDE drives on my web servers and those puppies are
fast, even when they're running Apache, PHP and MySQL all on the same box.  Is it
because each request is small that I don't run into issues with IDE's inability
to multitask?  Would become more apparent on a file server, where the typical
file being copied is at least 100K?

-Cliff