Linux file server

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 08:02:43 EDT 2003

Well, remember that IDE drives are single tasking items.  I generally don't use
them for multi-user systems 'cuz the system will spend all of it's time
rattling the disks.

SCSI is more expensive because the controllers and disks are more intelligent
and can multitask.  SCSI drives can usually accept up to eight commands and
will interleave them to get better performance.

Follow that out to an array and if everything is master, you might be OK but if
you have master/slave arrangements, then you can only hit one drive at a time
(unless someone has changed something in the ATA100 stuff) so you won't be able
to get good performance.

If you're doing a large system that's going to be hit hard from multiple tasks,
SCSI is definately worth the extra expense...

Cheers!

Bob