Adelphia`

Mike Richardson mtr3 at buffalo.edu
Fri Aug 15 19:06:55 EDT 2003

RoadRunner tech is the same way. The technician actually
mentioned: "We have a lot of Linux users in the greater
Rochester area, but RR will not support you for your
machine (OpenBSD, just a firewall/gateway). We will support
your Win2k box."

Years ago, the University At Buffalo was working on
officially supporting Linux. Then they weren't. Now I'm
starting to see a trickle of documentation for it, along
with Linux versions of their VPN client.

It's sad that they can't immediately support it. But then,
as an ex-technician for
Juno/Netzero/Whatever-the-hell-they-call-themselves-now,
doing Windows dialup support only was difficult enough. (I
still got the occasional "Can I do this on Linux" call)

It would be nice if callcenters staffed a Tier-2 or 3 tech
that could approach these questions. I think they lose out
a bit if they can't support it, and with bargain-basket PCs
running Lindows, Lycoris,et al. emerging, it might be in
their best interests to begin a support program.

Not like my comments are going to change anything :)

--In a burst of eloquence, Friday, August 15, 2003 6:18 PM
-0400 Robert Todd <robert_todd at adelphia.net> usus loquendi:

> I agree/  And I'm one of those open-minded Tier 1 techs
> at Adelphia =)
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>  I was thinking the same thing but was too lazy to type
> it. I have never once used the installation cd for
> adelphia at any installation for any os. Companies like
> that really need to get some more open minded people,
> either in higher places or ones that aren't afraid to
> speak there minds to the higher places

Michael Richardson