ALSA

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sat Aug 2 19:17:56 EDT 2003

drivers - provide the kernel modues (NEEDED)
libraries - provide, well, the sound libraries (NEEDED)
utils - provide binaries to control your sound card (alsamixer, alsactl,
etc) (NEEDED).

If you look under supported sound cards (on ALSA's main site), they have a
nice installation sheet you can follow for your specific sound chip.

-Rob

> Looking at switching to ALSA sound. Do I need both the "driver" and
> "libraries". I also noticed another downoad called "utilities", do I
> need some of these/all of these. Just looking to get sound functioning
> using ALSA.
>
> TIA
> Dave

Dege