Kazaa and iptables

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Wed Apr 23 08:33:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Justin Bennett wrote:

> I tried blocking 1241 It still works. I see stuff on 1697, I'll try
> blocking that. I blocked that now it's on 1699. It seems to keep moving
> the ports to an open one.

For those of us without cisco routers in our house...

I haven't looked at it yet, but you may want to look into the shapeconfig
program at:

ftp://shadow.cabi.net/pub/Linux

It's under Network Device Support in a 2.4 kernel config.

It's a packetshaper for the 2.4 kernel.  Packetshaping will allow you to
restrict bandwidth to IP or MAC address and may even let you classify
traffic it recognizes.  It'll require a kernel recompile & most likely a
lot of playing & is listed as experimental, but it has been on my todo
list for a long time.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst