Adelphia's Mail Server

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Sat Apr 19 21:03:29 EDT 2003

I'm assuming here that you're using adelphia via the DC area, hence
"dc1".  I'm only assuming since the Buffalo,NY area is
"buf.adelphia.net".  However, since I haven't used adelphia in about 3
years, I may be wrong, but incoming mail is pop.buf.adelphia.net, via
POP3, and outgoing mail (SMTP) is smtp.buf.adelphia.net.  Assuming my
assumptions (*g*) aren't incorrect, I'd say your outgoing mail should be
going to smtp.dc1.adelphia.net, and incoming, pop.dc1.adelphia.net

If that is correct, and adelphia has any sense about how to setup a
public email system, then yes, you will receive an error trying to send
to non-adelphia clients via an incoming, pop3 system.  Try using smtp,
for your outgoing email server name.  That should allow email to
anywhere on the 'net, provided, you're an adelphia customer in the dc1
area, and not using another ISP, then that too, would be considered
"relaying" and is usually blocked by ISP's not wishing to be used as
spam relays.

Just my thoughts,

   - Tony Evans