Upgrading my system - rfc

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sat Apr 19 13:55:34 EDT 2003

Not to infringe on the propoganda of sales going on here, I'd say that
the parts seem fine with the exception of the modem & video card.

Modem - http://www.linmodems.org
ATI   - http://gatos.sf.net

ATI offers limited functionality in linux, and their close source drivers
are not that great.  The Gatos site will give you a good idea of what
functions that video card will have under linux.

linmodems list modems that are known to work under linux.  Anything that
calls itself winmodem (if they still exist) is a no-no.

> Motherboard ASUS S478 P4B533 SND
> Processor      Intel P4 2.40 GHz 533 MHz 512K
> Memory        512MB PC2100
> HD               WDC 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB
> DVD            Toshiba DVDRW/CDRW
> Floppy          Samsung 1.44MB
> Eth                DLink DFES30TX+ 10/100 PCI
> Sound           Soundblaster Live 5.1
> Video            ATI Radeon XXXX All-In-Wonder (lost the model number,
> but it's the new one (newer than the 7500))
> Modem         US Robotics 56K PCI Modem
> Chassis         Generic with 4 front 5 1/4 bays, 2 front usb 2.0's power
> and reset, 350W power supply
>
> I'm putting my Kogi 17" LCD Monitor on it and a Cirque Wave Keyboard 2
> on it (has a Glidepoint touch pad on it)

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me