Backups cont.

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 23:28:45 EDT 2003

Now that was weird.  All is not well but all is not lost.  I locked up once
earlier when using hte console in X on the server.  It is a horrible video card
so I assumed it was that and after rebooting I ssh'd in from my workstation.  I
was able to perform a backup of the home drives and was using the d option
--compare to test it.  The server locked up and of course my session froze on
my workstation since I use autofs and YP etc.  It was in the middel of the file
compare.

I rebooted with magic keys and my session came right back up from where it was
sans ssh term to server.  I did reset the SCSI settings for the Tape device
after rereading te adapter specs.  I set the adapter to not Initiate Sync
Negotiation since the apater will use Syn over Async if the device requests it.
 But trying to force it can cause instability, I also turned off Initiate Wide
Negotiation since the device again can request wide 16bit and the adapter will
accept, but the other way around may cause instability.  Obviously this forced
my max transfer rate from 40 20 Mb/sec.  I also turned off send start cmd since
I realizz it was not needed at all...

Hopefully now this will stop locking up, one is a fluke, twice is really
strange, three times will make me upset :-)  Or just make me stay up all night
trying to figure it out.

Any trouble shooting tips are appreciated...

JJN