Two-sided printing

Joe josephj at buffnet.net
Mon Apr 14 11:30:53 EDT 2003

Xpp comes up with the duplex option  disabled.  The printer doesn't do
duplex in hardware, but the Windoze driver emulated it by printing all
the odd pages reverse order and then telling me to take them out, flip
them around and put them back in the paper tray and then printing all
the even pages forward.  It also knew to print an extra blank page to
eject the last page if the total number of pages  was odd.

Can xpp or something similar (preferably not x) be called from a shell
script with everything in  command line arguments or a parameter file?
If it can, I may be able to write a script to automate the above
process.  If I can figure out a way to pipe print output to my shell
script, then I can emulate the feature myself.  The only other trick is
finding a way to display a dialog box (continue/quit?) that returns a
status (-1/0) from the script so it will be able to wait for the first
part to finish printing and for me to flip the paper before printing the
second part.  This is not pretty and might only work for one print job
at a time, but it might work.  Any ideas on how to proceed?

I have posted a similar question at linuxprinters.org.

Joe