Sound

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 01:39:50 EDT 2003

Two things to check out:  If you're running KDE, is 'artsd' also running.
That daemon will take over the sound card and you might be having problems
opening the device.  Second, check to make sure that '/dev/dsp' (which is
typically a symlink to '/dev/sound/dsp' changes ownership with the user
that is logged in.  You can do this with 'ls -lL /dev/dsp'.

That will give us an idea of where to start.

Cheers!

Bob
--- Jacob Stoll <jstolly92 at netscape.net> wrote:
> I am running mandrake 9.1 and every time i run a java applet with sound the
> sound never plays. But it will play in root. None of the users can play
> sounds from a java applet. I think it is a permisions problem but i would not
> know where to start. Any Ideas?

> Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days!
> http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380
>
> Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 for FREE! Download Now!
> http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.