HP DLT/80 tar/dd backup I/O Errors

Darin Perusich darinper at cognigencorp.com
Thu Sep 26 09:18:03 EDT 2002

these tapes work for about a week for so in the new drive then they
start to fail. have you tried using these tapes in a different drive?
that could be a double edged sword, if the drive has a problem tapes
used in that drive can pass those problems on to other drives.

it could also be the scsi bus it self. is there anything else on the bus
that is throwing errors? i'm going to guess that you've checked the scsi
id's and nothing is on id #7.

i've never heard of having to demagnetize a tape before using it. it's
possible that the dlt is writting something to the first block of the
tape and when you dump to the tape that block is getting written over
and causing the problem. just a thought.

since you have a number of dlt's have you ever looked into using amanda
to dump you systems? you can string all your dlt's together and make a
virtual changer to increase capacity.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator