Mandrake ??

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 14:46:49 EDT 2002

I used my Mandrake 8.2 game machine just a week or so ago.  Since then I've
recycled my Server once (when I did Kudzu tried to redetect and reinstall all
my hardware.. may not have any bearing but the only thing I can think of that
changed.)

I use NIS and autofs and when I started my PC this weekend the KDM which
normally displays 3 users (all for the NIS map) displayed a ton of users.  I
couldnt log in from the KDM  screen either, it would blank as if it was going
to login then go back to login screen.  (I figured out the user icons in KDM
was my entire local passwd file!)
My nsswitch.conf was unchanged (passwd files nis) from when it worked as
expected.

By falling out to a console and logging in I could then do a telinit 3 and
startx and X started fine!  I was able to login as my NIS mapped user also...

Not sure where to look for what might have changed.  I went into KDM setup and
manually told it to only display the three users I want (it still keeps
displaying an icon for root and I can't figure out why).

It still won't go to a desktop from KDM but if I go to console and login and
then startx I get to my desktop fine.  I looked in var/log/messages but did not
see anything very odd, except when it had my whole passwd file showing up as
icons in KDM i had a lot of errors trying to map all those users home drive's
since there were no home drives for them via NSF or autofs...

Any thoughts,ideas, suggestions (I did do an update ie update.media -a followed
by urpmi --auto-update the other night but no change to the above behavior)

JJN