apache and mod_rewrite

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 14:14:41 EST 2002

I recently had my introduction to rewrite rules when I had to deal with
a php package that had the tendancy to use '.../form.php/file.txt' as
a means of passing 'file.txt' to 'form.php'.  Not a pretty thing but
there's stuff on the web to explain it.

I CAN say that putting port number in the URL is really not going to help
you.  The SSL server is sitting on port 443 and connecting to
http://site.xxx.com:443 should always simply fail 'cuz the browser is
not prepared to establish an SSL connection.  You'll never get to the
rewrite rule 'cuz apache ain't listenin'.  You need to find out who's
handing out the URL and whack it with a stick.

Sorry, I'm a bit punchy, today...

Cheers!

Bob

--- Darin Perusich <darinper at cognigencorp.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i'm trying to write a mod_rewrite rule to fix problem that i'm running
> into with an app on an ssl site. this app, a web calendar client is
> working fine under ssl, when you logout it kick's you out to a user
> defined page. during the logout process it tries to push you to a page
> with the following url: http://calendar.domain.com:443/logout.html, this
> produces a 400 Bad Request error from apache. the entire error is:
>
> Bad Request
> Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
>
> Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
> Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.
> Hint: https://calendar.cognigencorp.com:443/
>
> the rule i'm trying to write should take http://%{SERVER_NAME}:443 and
> write to https://%{SERVER_NAME}:443, so far i'm not having any luck.
>
> anyone have experience writting these rules?
>
> --
> Darin Perusich
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Cognigen Corp.