Bradley J. Bartram bradbartram at ccsisp.com
Thu Oct 10 10:15:40 EDT 2002

You couls use a traditional method such as having rigidly defined user and
group settings and applying them system wide over the various files and
directories and executables.  This can be as secure as you can make it as
well as secure as the limitations of standard Linux systems allow it to be.

You can use sudo to define groups with access to commands and tasks.  Sudo is
however, quite insecure as even the most recent versions have flaws which can
allow for root access at the local level.

Your best bet is to use a combination of the two methods, which is what is
most common in most more secure environments.

Of course, if security is truly a concern, you could look into trusted
computing with products such as pitbull, engard, or even the NSA's SELinux.

enjoy

brad