RPM ??'s

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 13:55:09 EDT 2002

What is the syntax to install an RPM to a location I want it to go to , ie in
SUse (as well as other distros) they recommend that you place non-distro RPM's
in /usr/local or /opt or someplace other than where the distro specific one may
go.  I tried root and prefix but got errors so I'm either using the wrong
switch or messing up syntax.

any help?

JJN

PS  Im downloading the isos for 9.0 Mandrake at the moment, Hope no one on my
network complains too loud!..  Anyone instll it yet (or upgrade) how was
upgrade, smooth, any gotchas found yet?  etc etc

PPS  : Philosophical discussion:  I want to switch to Linux exclusively (and
would if I wasnt so ingrained in M$ money.  I realized to support Linux I
should support it financially as well since there is perfectly good commercial
software.  StarOffice, Mandake and Suse, Codeweavers Wine and Officereaders,
all this I've been using for free.  I've considered "purchasing" some of these
services and being a real user.  For example I could Buy a boxed verison of
mandrake or suse, StarOffice and Codeweavers wine, and crossover plugins then I
could demand support as a loyal cutomer and expect good performance, plus I
would be ensuring that commercial software for Linux is produced in the future.

Thoughts comments ideas, rants speak up (this was triggered by the Mandrake
article about Wesley Crusher - or the actor who plays him switching to Mandrake
exclusively) and my own thoughts about Suse's and mandrake's business models.