Email?

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Tue Nov 19 09:38:19 EST 2002

I too have noticed slow emails.  I'll send one out and won't receive it
for anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours.  I've also used the website for
reference, though it has been noticed there are a few dead links, or moved
sites.

I have offered my services, in whatever capacity, since I am a Webmaster
and Asst Sys Admin where I work, as well as the owner/admin of my own
linux box.  My concern with mail, was the fact that I too run Majordomo,
but have yet to have it take more than 5 minutes to process
incoming/outgoing email unless I set it to "moderate".  As an asst. admin
at a local ISP, I have the ability to offer hosting the NFLUG site on my
system, complete with DNS, Registrar updates, email, and Majordomo.
However, due to my "newness" to the list, and the fact that I haven't met
anyone here yet, I don't expect people to jump at the offer.

Whether I host or not, doesn't matter. However, my concern lies more on
the information on NFLUG's website. The mailing list is great, however,
what happens when someone new joins and asks a question previously asked?
Perhaps displaying mailing list archives on the web?  There's also the
possibility of using a CMS (Content Management System) such as PHP-Nuke,
myPhpNuke, PostNuke, etc. to create a dynamic website with multiple
features.  It's possible to have static pages, and have forums, such as
PHPBB, or XMBforum (my personal favorite which I purchased).  I think
anything is possible.  If wanted, I'll be more than happy to help and
provide input.

  The website should be updated more often, as I feel it's a resource for
those who want to know more about the NFLUG group, it's members, and about
Linux.  The mailing list should be second, or redone at the same time.
The delay can be irritating, but it's tolerable.

Just my two pence...

  - Tony