Virus Rescue Disk

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com
Mon Nov 18 22:24:07 EST 2002

Ok this is what I'm going to do (tommarow at work): use the mkCDrec
utility to create a bootable iso cd image (thanks to sfielding7 at cogeco.ca
for the tech republic article on it) . Then I'm going to mount the ISO
image under an existing linux system using
mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/isoimage.iso /path/to/mount/point/

Then I'm going to see if I can put Macafee on the iso (find all the
neccesary libraries), then burn the iso to CD. If this work I should have
a rescue CD I can boot with, and mount win98 partition, and run uvscan to
clean the HD. If I get it to work I'll let you all know. This might be
something some you you may be interested in. The problem is these newer
viruses crash macafee when you try and run it on the PC, so you need to
scan it from an OS that isn't infected. At work I'll just take the HD out
and put it in a linux box, but for home use this would be easier.

Wish me luck.

Justin