lilo

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Nov 9 00:56:15 EST 2002

Ok, here's one for ya....
I am redoing my system, just got a new scsi hard drive and installed
RedHat 8 on it. I also have an existing windows xp drive (on ide drive)
that I used to dual boot with. When connected to the new system, I could
not successfully install lilo because it would take the ide drive as the
first drive and the scsi drive after. I read the man page on lilo and
found that the syntax of "disk=/dev/sda bios=0x80" could be added to
lilo.conf to tell the system that this is the first drive in the system,
even with an ide at hda. That worked fine and then successfully
installed lilo, which booted Linux fine. However, I cannot figure out
how to get it to dual boot now. I use to use the syntax of
"map-drive=0x80 to=0x82 map-drive=0x82 to=0x80" but that no longer
works. That use to work with the drive connected on as hde1 (I have a
motherboard with additional ATA controllers). I tried connecting it as
hda to simplify things but that didn't work either. Anyone have any
experience with this one?