Samba Printing Problems

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com
Wed Nov 6 08:54:54 EST 2002

I basically used the standard smb.conf config. I changed the printscript a
little, though it was working before.  I added a second command line
variable to add the username to the file and the date this is what I have:

[pdf]
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %s %u

   ; There is no need to support listing or removing print jobs,
   ; since the server begins to process them as soon as they arrive.
   ; So, we set the lpq (list queued jobs) and lprm (remove jobs in queue)
   ; commands to be empty.
   lpq command =
   lprm command =

Printpdf:

#!/bin/sh

DATE=`date +%b%d-%H%M%S`

# Directory in which to place the output
# Be sure this directory exists and is writable by the user that Samba
# is running as (for example, the nobody user)
OUTDIR=/export/home/pdfs

/usr/bin/ps2pdf13 $1 $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp
mv $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp $OUTDIR/$2-$DATE.pdf
chmod 660 $OUTDIR/$2-$DATE.pdf
rm $1

Notice $2 is passed as %u (the username) and I also added a line to change
the permission on the file thats created, nothing complex. Make SURE
though that the printpdf file is EXECUTABLE.
chmod a+x /usr/bin/printpdf

Justin