RedHat Lilo Graphic

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Nov 4 02:37:35 EST 2002

Thanks Mark, that looks like that is exactly what the doctor ordered! I
will play with this later. Thanks again, Peter
On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 03:07, Mark Musone wrote:

    This is G o o g l e's cache of
    http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/lilo.txt.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we
    crawled the web.
    The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the
    current page without highlighting.
    To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:yfG7l1vHhPwC:hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/lilo.txt+boot-bmp.b&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor
    responsible for its content.
    These search
    terms have been
    highlighted:
    boot
    bmp

    TITLE:          Lilo beautified
    LFS VERSION:    3.3
    AUTHOR:	        yoonsoo <yoonsoo at gmx.net>

    SYNOPSIS:
    	How to get a nice picture as boot prompt

    HINT:
    Version 0.3
    23/07/2002

    Contents
    --------

        1. What do you need ?
        2. Copying the bmp-file
        3. preparing lilo.conf
        4. Finish
        5. Additional Remarks and Warnings

    1. What do you need
       ----------------

         lilo-22.2

    	 or

    	 lilo-22.3.2
    	 nasm-0.98.34

    	 (just install nasm the way you usually install packages)

         640x480x16 bmp file

    2. Copying BMP
       -----------

    	You can use any BMP with the dimensions 640x480 and a colordepth
            of 16Bit. If you decide to use one of the BMP's shipped with
            the lilo-package, you can find them at lilo-src/sample/
            Just copy one of them to /boot (or somewhere else if
            you want to). Imho logo64a.bmp looks good so I will refer
            to this on.

    3. Preparing lilo.conf
       -------------------

            There are two ways

    	a) set the symlink /boot/boot.b to /boot/boot-bmp.b
            b) add install=boot/boot-bmp.b to lilo.conf

            I prefer to change the symlink for several reasons, so you
            will find no install= in my lilo.conf below

            add the following lines to lilo.conf

    bitmap = /boot/logo64a.bmp (or whatever bmp you took)
    bmp-colors = 6,9,0,15,9,0
    bmp-table = 59,5,1,18,
    bmp-timer = 66,28,6,8,0

    bmp-colors: here is where you set the colors used in your menu
     the first three entries belongs to the normal menu-text and the
     last three entries specifies the colors of the highlighted
     menu-text.

    bmp-table: location of the menu-table. First two entries gives
     the x, and y cooridiantes of the menu table. 59 means column 59,
     you cal also use (eg) p400 to adress in pixels instead. The next
     two entries are the numbers of the rows and columns in our menu table.
     The last entry will specify the space between the columns if there are
     more than one.

    bmp-timer: location of the timer-box for the countdown. The first two
     entries are the coordinates and the next last values specifies  the colors

    alternatively, if you use a lilo version greater than 22.3 you could also do:

    add the followjng lines to lilo.conf

    bitmap = /boot/logo64a.bmp (or whatever bmp you took)

    cat > /boot/logo64a.dat << "EOF"
    bmp-colors = 6,9,0,15,9,0
    bmp-table = 59,5,1,18,
    bmp-timer = 66,28,6,8,0
    EOF

    lilo -E /boot/logo64a.dat

    (see the manpage and the README's shipped with your lilo-Source for
     further details)

    4. Finish
       ------

    	run lilo and reboot
    	Enjoy your new Boot-menu ;)

    5. Additional Remarks & Warnings
       -----------------------------

    	As it can be very risky to use lilo you should always have a
        working boot disk to 'repair' your boot image if things went
        wrong, and it will go wrong for sure ;)
        Be sure, that your bmp-file exists and will not be erased
        accidently.
        And last not least : never forget to run lilo after you have
        made some changes.
    	There are advantages and disadvantages which comes with
    	upgrading to lilo-22.3. Just check which is more important for
    	you.

     If you have any ideas, suggestions or found a bug you can send a
     mail to:
     yoon soo <yoonsoo at gmx.net>