PIII to PIV upgrade

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 13:52:50 EST 2002

I can almost guarantee that you will have some issues.  Typically, the
system configures the onboard devices when it installs.  Mandrake and RedHat
both check for new hardware on the way up.  Mandrake runs 'harddrake'
and asks about anything that it sees as having changed.  I have never
tried it in RedHat so I can't tell what it will do.  You can at least
expect the system to ask about changing the config for anything new it
finds and deleting anything that it doesn't find that used to be there.
At worst, it will not boot properly, so YMMV (your milage may vary).

Cheers!

Bob
--- Justin Bennett <Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any problems with PIII to PIV upgrades? I'm running Redhat 7.2
> with kernel:
>
> Linux cheetah.dynabrade.com 2.4.18-17.7.xsmp #1 SMP Tue Oct 8 12:37:04 EDT
> 2002
> i686 unknown
>
> The most up2date kernel from redhat. I want to swap the board from dual
> PIII 700s on a tyan tiger board to Dual 1.8 PIV Xeons on a supermicro
> board. If I just swap the board, RAM, CPUs, and powersupply (PIvs have
> their own of course). The kernel should boot ok on PIVs right? Has anyone
> tried?
>
> Justin
>

> --
> Justin Bennett