what is a good proxy server

umar umar99 at yahoo.com
Sun May 26 12:13:54 EDT 2002

hi all,

since my mandrake connection sharing system is not
working (and no one was able to help me with that), I
am thinking about setting up a third party server to
share my cable connection with my roommates. I want to
know what are good proxy servers for linux that can
handle upto 5 clients and support ftp, telnet, ssh and
various instant messengers.

I have heard of squid but dont know how good or bad it
is. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

And NO I cannot buy a new box to act as a router. I
have to do something using my own box.

Umar