Alpha, additional notes and a question...

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 23 07:14:37 EDT 2002

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ronald Maggio
  To: nflug at nflug.org
  Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 6:43 AM
  Subject: Re: Alpha, additional notes and a question...

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Cyber Source
    To: nflug at nflug.org
    Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:07 PM

    Just wanted to cue in here and say that I experience a similar situation on an UPGRADE. Bob Meyer and I worked on it and eventually found:
    1. BIOS (Motherboard NOT scsi) played a vital role in handing the boot process to scsi over ide
    2. On the upgrade, the necessary init link/file was not passed to the boot strap.
    This was determined through various steps but the most noticeable was when (after suspecting hardware failure of course :)) was on a fresh install everything worked and booted fine. There are only a handful of scsi adapter manufacturers (less than ide for sure), it's not inconceivable to think they put all the adapter drivers on the distros.
    Well this is what I think is happening with Joseph's Alpha box. First he was installing an OS other RedHat that may not have had the drivers needed to set up the raid scsi card right. Secondly using RedHat does not guarantee that either, but from what I understood it was booting and not seeing the raid controller card? Plus it did not see the drives. So lets say (if) the card was seen that does not mean that the drives where set up correctly. When I tried to install the OS on mine it saw the scsi controller but had a problem with the drives. The odds are that in Joe's case  that the raid scsi card not having drivers available in the RedHat distro could be. But even if ( and I'm no expert if the drives where or not setup correctly ) say if the card is seen, but if the drives are not set just right it may or may not have an influence as to weather the raid scsi card functions correctly. Also it could be a bad card who knows?  I've yet to see the box or see an attempt to do install in action on the box in question. We'll find out in time the in's and out's of the beast.
    Till future correspondence.

    Ron:)

    P.S. Boy I dun type good...Not!  Look at all the typo's and not so perfect grammar. Its now 7am and I'm just getting coffee. I think I should wait till I get some coffee in me before I start writing.

    Ron:)