Alpha, additional notes and a question...

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 22 21:26:41 EDT 2002

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Todd Wirth
  To: nflug at nflug.org
  Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 5:55 PM
  Subject: RE: Alpha, additional notes and a question...

  On the subject of RedHat kernel having default support for a every SCSI adapter I disagree. We have a Dell server running RedHat 7.2, although I wasn't involved in the upgrade to a newer kernel (Dell provided), I know what happened through various emails between Dell and our other IT guy. They tried 2 stock RedHat kernels that did not work with our SCSI adapter, until finally the 3rd one did the trick. I was about to take over the project and just compile a kernel, but that would have voided our support w/ Dell & RedHat.

  I'm not too sure about the hardware as this server (besides a Xeon) is in a remote office, but I did see the email traffic, and you could tell the Dell guys were stumped. ;)

  -- Todd

  I can understand your opinion and your right, but in this case we are at odds with an Alpha a whole different kettle of fish. Alpha's are a lot more complicated then an intel box. We meaning Joseph and I who own DEC Alphas may or may not have one heck of a time getting these boxes to kick over. I sent everyone the info as attachments zipped, I know it a lot of reading but the info I sent took nearly a year to obtain. I'm still looking for more info on what is still not described in detail or even talked about because most people involved (experts) fail to cover the mundane like how to set up the harddrives for every situation. Especially how the harddrives are to be labeled (setup) so on and so forth. I'm putting some notes together to describe the steps it took to get the hardware set up for an install. Well one day I may list all the info on a web site that can help people understand the details that are not always conveyed.

  Ron:)