Alpha, additional notes and a question...

Todd Wirth todd at phyberoptiks.net
Wed May 22 17:55:01 EDT 2002

On the subject of RedHat kernel having default support for a every SCSI
adapter I disagree. We have a Dell server running RedHat 7.2, although I
wasn't involved in the upgrade to a newer kernel (Dell provided), I know
what happened through various emails between Dell and our other IT guy. They
tried 2 stock RedHat kernels that did not work with our SCSI adapter, until
finally the 3rd one did the trick. I was about to take over the project and
just compile a kernel, but that would have voided our support w/ Dell &
RedHat.

I'm not too sure about the hardware as this server (besides a Xeon) is in a
remote office, but I did see the email traffic, and you could tell the Dell
guys were stumped. ;)

-- Todd