Alpha, additional notes and a question...

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 22 16:02:41 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Meyer" <meyer_rm at yahoo.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: Alpha, additional notes and a question...

> Well, most newer kernels in distributions don't need to be recompiled to
> support a 'standard' or well known device.  A lot of the documentation
> for devices talk about building kernels, assuming that support isn't
already
> there.  I suspect that if you can get an install started, the RAID card
> will be recognized correctly.  I just did an install of RedHat 7.2
<--------------------------snip----------------------------------------->
True from what I've read fo far, but I think that RedHat 7.1 should install
the same way with the
same drivers already available in RedHat. The only thing is that the latest
version of RedHat for Alpha's is 7.1.
I would recommend RedHat since it is the most use and well knowen for
Alpha's. Now mind you there are a few
others out there. Have you read any of the info I zipped out to you and the
group about Alpha's? I sent web site links
and seved web pages stock full of info on the subject, but I will admit its
mostly on the model I own. I does pertain to
the subject generally. I have it and as I said I'll make a copy of it for
you unless your going to downloaded it yourself.
I had someone else download it for my because I only have dialup service. It
is four full cd's worth! It would have taken
me well over a week to download it with dialup service. Well if I can be of
anymore assistance let me know.

Ron:)

on a brand