printing in an NT Server enviro

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 09:54:35 EDT 2002

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> I couldn't connect to the www cups admin tool. I am going to bring the
> system back here and redo it without doing the kde3 update (i'm not good
> enough to hack through this yet). I am also going to bring back there
> server here because they want me to clean it out, etc., so I can
> experiment with it here in the shop. As on my office computer, I have no
> kups at all, even did a locate for it and only found 1 file in the kde3
> folder. I also did a search using the software mangler and could not
> find it installed or not installed and even have the mandrake update
> site in my sources, I'm sure there must be some very logical explanation
> for that one, but it's got me stumped.
> On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 08:24, Robert Meyer wrote:

It's starting to look to me like you don't have cups installed or running.
It is supposed to listen on port 631 on localhost for connections from a
browser.
Look for /etc/cups and see if you have the config files.  Also, make sure that
you have cups enabled as a server in the current init level.  It has nothing
to do with KDE.

I'm not sure how the system was installed but if you don't define a printer
on the install, it may not install cups.  I know that the cups drivers
don't get installed until you define a printer.

Give that a check before rebuilding the box.  Besides, I've found that when
you just rebuild a box that's not doing what you want, you lose the
opportunity to learn why it wasn't right.  I relish the learning experience
when something whacks out and I have to figger out what happened.
There are actually very few occasions that require a reinstall of the O/S
in Linux.  In fact, there are very few reasons to actually reboot a Linux
system.

Cheers!

Bob

=====