Who loves XP?

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Fri May 17 09:16:46 EDT 2002

> And what's wrong with XP? I'm using it! Had no problems installing it on an

I love questions like this :)  My view of WinXP:

Pros
====

Sheer 32bit kernel.  Based off of the Win2000 kernel, but with no support
for 16bit code.  This makes it highly stable.  It has yet to crash on me
(BSOD)

Nice GUI.  A little overkill in some spots, but at least you can disable
some of the features.

It's the best of the Windows series (not sure if that's a great
compliment)

Cons
====

Product Activation.  Yes it's for Piracy prevention, but passing any data
to M$ concerns me.... especially when I use Windows Media player ;)

Requires a powerful machine to run.  My 300MHz machine will not run
WinXP.... just barely runs 2000.  This seems to be an ongoing trend with
M$.  Their next version of Windows requires a hardcore video card since
the desktop is going to be 100% DirectX code.

When you turn features off in XP, it really doesn't turn the features off.
Sticky keys, QoS Packet Scheduler, etc.  require dirty hacks to disable
instead of the simple "turn this feature off" check box.

I still see better gaming performance using Win98 on my 700Mhz box, than
on WinXP (multi-boot).

Driver availability.  Many manufacturers still don't have drivers made for
XP, or just point you to use the Win2000 drivers.  Thought this is not a
M$ con, it is an issue that can make using the OS with new hardware a
headache.

If you use VNC on XP, you are technically violating the license by using
3rd party Remote Desktop software.

Overall, I agree with Ron, XP is a nice OS.  But it has it's place.  For
business purposes, it's nice.  But I'd still go with Win98 for gaming, and
Linux for servers & security.

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me