Buffalo Internet and Computer Magazine

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 17 05:09:36 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Lawton " <green_man at bluefrognet.net>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: Buffalo Internet and Computer Magazine

> On 10 May 2002, at 7:14, Justin Bennett wrote:
>
> > Ok I'm up for it, I'm thinking a "What is Linux" Article, maybe
explaining
> > what linux is, as well as opensource and it's advantages. Then throw a
NFLUG
> > plug at the bottom.
>
> [Large Edit]
>
> I think that's a good idea.
> When I was considering a new computer, a friend asked me what
> OS I was putting in. I had heard of Linux, but had no idea what it
> really was. I took a virtual tour of Windows XP and knew I definitely
> did NOT want that.

And what's wrong with XP? I'm using it! Had no problems installing it on an
old lagacy box. The only problem I had was for it to see the modem and give
it drivers. I slipped in a PCI Motorola modem and used win 2000 drivers. Now
I can connect up. I liked the looks of XP the first time I saw it at
CompUSA. XP is if one really looks at it is Win NT version 5. Take some of
98SE, ME, NT 4.0 Win 2000 and put them all together and you got XP. It's not
a bad OS. As stated I'm running it on a legacy box its perking along. After
all its the Win NT kernel not the Win 9x kernel. Just my two cents worth!
Ron:)