Is the list broke and have we picked a topic?

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Thu May 16 21:37:53 EDT 2002

On 16 May 2002, at 7:52, Robert Meyer wrote:

> Sunday is fast approaching and I was wondering if we've decided on a topic
> for the meeting.  I've chatted with Peter from Cybersource and he's willing
> to do a demo of how he sets up home users of Mandrake.  He manages
> to get TV cards, Winmodems and a bunch of other stuff working every
> time.  He mentioned that he's doing an average of about 5 new installs
> of Linux for his customers per week.
>
> Cheers!

Been away for too long so I'm reading my LUG Inbox from the top
down, rather than the bottom up as usual.

I'd be glad to hear from Peter about installs, software modems, and
the "grass roots" spread of Linux. If I can learn enough about
Winmodems and compiling drivers into a kernel, I may get this $9
AMR modem card to work, rather than spending $70 for an external
modem.

The release of Open Office was mentioned in the business news on
TV this week. The reporter said it could "do anything you need it to
do ", and was an alternative to MicroSoft Office. She then went on
to mention the free software movement, and had a big grin on her
face the whole time. Business reporters are usually deadpan - I
wonder where her sympathies lie :-)

Scott

Registered Linux User 261118