Buffalo Internet and Computer Magazine

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 10 17:53:23 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Bennett" <justin.bennett at dynabrade.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: Buffalo Internet and Computer Magazine

> Sure, maybe we should give some background, what linux/opensource is and
> then compare some distributions, or give a review of several diffrent
> dists, to give a kind of ideas of their strengths. I haven't installed
> anything but redhat, (mandrake and caldera once) but from what I gather,
> correct me if I'm wrong, slackware and maybe debian? are more for the
> experienced users, more complicated installs?? If the idea of this
> article is to intise people into giving linux a shot maybe we should
> give some ideas as to which distribution is better for whowm. Begginers
> may want to install Mandrake, maybe even redhat? Wouldn't want them to
> get frustrated doing a text install (like freebsd) that frustrates them.
> This would involve many of us commenting on our favorite distribution.
>

> Justin

<-------------------------------------------snip----------------------------
--------------->
Well the idea is getting a little over whelming for a introduction to what
Linux/Opensource
is all about and what part we (NFLUG) locally as a Linux users group
particpate in the
Linux/Opensource computer world. I think you should find out to what the
publication is
looking for in an article, and would they be interested in a single story or
a series dealing
with the topic ending with how Linux has influenced you the writer and the
users group you
belong to. Also include what the local seen is like here in Buffalo. An
example how are companies
exploring this alternative to Microsoft products, and to what extent they
see their future computing
needs fulfilled. In other world my best advice is keep it short and sweet.
People get board reading
war and peace.

Ron:)