Modems

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 08:05:56 EDT 2002

I fought this beast for a long time, but finally just got (aquired?) a 56K
external USB and never looked back.  It worked flawlessly with my LRP box and
if it hangs in any OS you merely flick the power button.  Win9X may detect the
external modem but in both OS's you can merely tell it a modem exists at COM
port X and it works fine, just sends data to COM POrt X and modem takes care of
rest.  Flashing lights on front of modem are a HUGE help too.

(Note: You do know what COM ports are where don't you :-)  If not open the case
and trace the serial port connectors or look at the serial port connection
(it's normally labelled) In a Post Win9X world we are so used to letting the OS
tell US what the ports are we have stopped looking for ourselves!  <--
Mini-Rant :-)

Also if you have a built in modem try to determine the com port it's using from
watching start up or inBIOS.  If using an external on a serial port disable the
internal.

Hope an idea here helps,

JJN