Modems

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Tue May 7 04:38:32 EDT 2002

At 09:38 PM 5/6/02 -0400, you wrote:
>  Because I
>have on board sound via AC97 Codec, I have an AMR modem
>[Audio Modem Riser]. The modem card itself is about 2 in. by 2in.

I 'TRY' to avoid anything essential as onboard.. sound/net is fine.. but
avoid video/modem from onboard
I also figure you have to have at LEAST 3 expansion slots.. and at LEAST
one external com port.. so you should be set if you go aftermarket,
internal or external..

>I'm dual boot with Win 95 and Mandrake 8.1, and for some reason
>Win 95 doesn't like this thing either.

go figure.. they cant sell new product if  the old product works fine..

>I guess that's why they tried to push XP on me.

see above.. :-)

>Finances being limited, I could have XP or a
>processor, so I opted for the Athlon and no OS.
>
>Would an external modem [Serial or USB, I don't even know how
>they make them now] still be recognized as a PCI device ?

I have never seen a USB modem.. don't mean they don't make one.. just that
I have not experienced one.. but Serial/Com port modems do still exist..
thank the heavens!!

>My on
>board sound is. Supposedly one chipset on the board takes care of
>all the ADC/DAC- sound, modem and lan.
>
>It's looking like external is the way to go, maybe to get both OS's
>online. As I said, I have the drivers written by someone in Chile, but
>the last time I compiled anything it was on an IBM mainframe the
>size of a refrigerator, with a hard drive the size of a washing
>machine. Hollerith cards had just recently become obsolete !
>
>A bit of advice for anyone thinking of getting a new computer and
>putting Linux in it - get a mother board with EXPANSION CARD
>SLOTS !

>Microsoft is pushing on board sound and video and Intel is
>going along with it because

they're in bed with M$ and making money..