Modems

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Sun May 5 21:09:41 EDT 2002

Which would be easier, to install an external modem, or recompile
my kernel with the neccessary drivers to make the HSP modem
card work ?

My goals are: a) to NOT crash my linux box anymore.
                     b) to get the aforementioned on the internet with as
little grief as possible.

I know absolutely nothing about external modems except that
they're an external device with all the HARDWARE required to do
what a modem is supposed to do. I have a serial and two USB
ports available.

I have located and downloaded the [hopefully] correct targz with the
drivers to make the PCtel HSP56 software modem work in linux,
but I don't think I have the compiler unless Mandrake 8.1 gave it as
part of the default rpms. I have the PCtel modem mini-Howto if
anyone cares to read it for correctness. It makes a big deal about
how you can break your machine and do this entirely at your own
risk, and I'm very hesitant to fool with my kernel.

Any input for or against either option gratefully accepted.

Scott

Registered Linux User 261118