Samba

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 09:37:55 EDT 2002

Check /var/log/samba/log.nmb and /var/log/samba/log.smb for errors.  Samba
is usually pretty good about identifying what it's not happy about.  You can
restart
it by typing '/etc/init.d/smb restart'.   It appears that your startup script
does
a status by default.  Mine just gives an error message saying that it requires
an argument.  The 'status' argument on Mandrake 8.2 first tries to find the
processes
and then it looks in '/var/run/' for nmb.pid and smb.pid.  If the 'pid' file
exists, it
assumes the process is running.

xinetd is only for 'swat'.  Samba doesn't use it.  Check the error messages in
/var/log/samba and see if there's anything that calls out a problem.  Usually
the biggest thing that will keep samba from starting is not being able to find
the current host name in /etc/hosts or DNS.  That's how it gets the IP address
of the interface that it's supposed to use.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob (trying to function on < 3 hours of sleep...)

--- "Riga, Anthony" <Anthony.Riga at searbrown.com> wrote:
> I am running Samba server dual boot with windoze 2000 with Redhat 7.1 now
> because for the 5th time my Redhat 7.2 keeps crashing. I think I have a bad
> distro. Every once in awhile my nmbd daemon stops running. How can I restart
> it? When I use the command /etc/init.d/smb both say ok but when I look in
> SWAT its not running. The only one running is smbd daemon. Can anyone explain
> what I am doing wrong . I do test parm everything is fine I restart xinet.d
> its fine.

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.