Yahoo! News - Eric Raymond: Linux will rule the desktop

Andrew Rokitka drew82096 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 31 19:27:53 EST 2002

Linux doesnt have to chase Microsoft.  That is the whole problem.
People automatically assume that Win9x, 2k, etc is the standard.  Well,
why not create a new standard?  Instead of complaining about MS, and
their insecure, expensive, and unreliable product, why not come up with
a way to make linux more user friendly?  All Linux really needs is  a
"dumbed down" version so that the normal everyday home user can
actually perform simple tasks such as software installs.

--- Tim Makai <gmat at adelphia.net> wrote:

<HR>
<head>
</head>
I am not so sure about linux not being used for the desktop. &nbsp;We
know that
it is a server type os. &nbsp;We also know that we can install all
types of server
daemons and utilities, including an X server. &nbsp;So what is to stop
it? &nbsp;Wal
mart joe might have a problem with it today but he wants it. &nbsp;In
the future
linux will be nice enough for anyone to use. &nbsp;Without getting into
the whole
debate about wal-mart joe becoming an SA or whether he has the right, I
would
say that linux is powerful enough to be a desktop OS and developers
build
desktop programs for it every day.<br>
For instance, when you look at the work Codeweavers has done with the
Office
Crossover and Plugin Crossover, desktop program inter operability is
not
far in the future, it is today. <br>
I have been using it as a desktop for about 8 months and find it both a
challenge
and somewhat limited as well. &nbsp;But I can do almost everything I
need to on
it. &nbsp;<br>
You are right though, linux will never rule the OS market as long as it
is
chasing M$. &nbsp;As long as we are making applications LIKE M$
products we will
always be in second place. &nbsp;But, that is <br>
another story.<br>
Glad to be a new part of NFLUG.<br>
Tim<br>
Ronald Maggio wrote:<br>
cite="mid:000901c1d8aa$a8d11840$f43afea9 at celeronbox">
  <pre wrap="">----- Original Message -----<br>From: "Andrew Rokitka"
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:drew82096 at yahoo.com">&lt;drew82096 at yahoo.com&gt;</a><br>To:
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:nflug at nflug.org">&lt;nflug at nflug.org&gt;</a><br>Sent:
Sunday, March 31, 2002 12:18 AM<br>Subject: Re: Yahoo! News - Eric
    <pre wrap="">i agree that MS's products are abhorrently expensive,
but make no<br>mistake about it, linux will not take over the desktop
market until my<br>mother can install an application in two clicks of a
    <pre
wrap=""><!---->&lt;-------------------------------snip-------------------------------------&gt;<br>True...Linux
has its drawbacks its not as easy to use as Windows.<br>The interface
needs a lot more work as the article states, it may now
be<br>more<br>easy to install than ever but it still is not as user
friendly as windows.<br>You have to understand something. Linux's
background is that it was<br>written for and used by developers for
development. A GUI front end for Unix<br>was the end product and a Unix
like operating system is the result. It was<br>never meant to<br>be
used by the common enduser nor was it to be thought of as a
common<br>desktop.<br>It has evolved into a somewhat easy to install
userend desktop as we seam to<br>think,<br>but once you use it you'll
see that it can't be used as a truely common<br>desktop like
Windows.<br>As you said its not a two clicks and your software is
installed kind of<br>operating system.<br>Your totally correct it is
not as
 easy as it could be! One can install it<br>and within<br>a few minutes
connect to the internet (only with Mandrake I believe can you<br>do
this?).<br>Otherwise it is not a vary user friendly operating system.
Those with a Unix<br>background<br>they say its easy for them...well
for them but not for all of us! We who<br>where brought up in
the<br>DOS/Windows era and never exposed to Unix will not find the
merge over<br>partly or totally easy at all!<br>For the most part it
has one upper hand the preverbal ace in the hole it can<br>operate on
nearly any old<br>legacy system, and is a more stable more powerful an
operating system by far<br>than anything I have ever used.<br>&gt;From
what I've seen for myself and have read on this list and from
other<br>sources is that if it goes belly up it<br>is do to enduser
error more then system error. I think that with Linux we<br>are being
offered by far a better<br>choice of an operating system than the blue
screen of death.<br><br>Member
Maggio<br>Have Screwdriver Will Travel<br>Computer Repair
677-5909<br><a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
      <pre wrap=""><br>--- Cyber Source <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:peter at thecybersource.com">&lt;peter at thecybersource.com&gt;</a>
wrote:<br></pre>
        <pre wrap=""><!----><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
            <pre wrap=""><!---->&lt;<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                <pre
You Yahoo!?<br>Yahoo! Greetings - send holiday greetings for Easter,
Passover<br><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"