Yahoo! News - Eric Raymond: Linux will rule the desktop

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 31 06:52:32 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Rokitka" <drew82096 at yahoo.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 12:18 AM
Subject: Re: Yahoo! News - Eric Raymond: Linux will rule the desktop

> i agree that MS's products are abhorrently expensive, but make no
> mistake about it, linux will not take over the desktop market until my
> mother can install an application in two clicks of a mouse button...the
> same goes for CEO's...

<-------------------------------snip------------------------------------->
True...Linux has its drawbacks its not as easy to use as Windows.
The interface needs a lot more work as the article states, it may now be
more
easy to install than ever but it still is not as user friendly as windows.
You have to understand something. Linux's background is that it was
written for and used by developers for development. A GUI front end for Unix
was the end product and a Unix like operating system is the result. It was
never meant to
be used by the common enduser nor was it to be thought of as a common
desktop.
It has evolved into a somewhat easy to install userend desktop as we seam to
think,
but once you use it you'll see that it can't be used as a truely common
desktop like Windows.
As you said its not a two clicks and your software is installed kind of
operating system.
Your totally correct it is not as easy as it could be! One can install it
and within
a few minutes connect to the internet (only with Mandrake I believe can you
do this?).
Otherwise it is not a vary user friendly operating system. Those with a Unix
background
they say its easy for them...well for them but not for all of us! We who
where brought up in the
DOS/Windows era and never exposed to Unix will not find the merge over
partly or totally easy at all!
For the most part it has one upper hand the preverbal ace in the hole it can
operate on nearly any old
legacy system, and is a more stable more powerful an operating system by far
than anything I have ever used.
>From what I've seen for myself and have read on this list and from other
sources is that if it goes belly up it
is do to enduser error more then system error. I think that with Linux we
are being offered by far a better
choice of an operating system than the blue screen of death.

Member of the windows twelve step program group.
Ron:)

Ron Maggio
Have Screwdriver Will Travel
Computer Repair Service