Midi

Bradley J. Bartram bradbartram at wycol.com
Sat Mar 23 12:37:22 EST 2002

Here's the long version of my saga...

I have an older 800mhz athlon, with 512 megs of ram, geforce2 gts video and a
sound blaster live platinum sound card.  I have dual boot capability with two
drives, windows 98se on hda and mandrake prosuite 8.1 on hdc.

I've been working with this system primarily linux (I boot windows on the
occasional saturaday when a friend comes over to play Empire Earth against
me).  I decided to get ambitious and play with wine.

I am a realtive newbie with wine but I figured I'd give it a go and see if I
could get some of my games and such to run under mandrake.

Anyway, I started out with the basic setup that came with the system which
was wine 20010731.  This I configured with a decent .wine/config and tried to
fire up some applications.  And here is where the fun begins...

The first time I tried I received several font errors which crashed the
process.  No big deal, a little research and I found I had to alias some
windows fonts like tahoma.  I was able to move past that.

The next attempt at starting an application, the midi error.  I don't have
the exact error ( or I can't find where I wrote it to ) but it referenced
midi within it.  When it happened, I copied the error from my eterm into
google and searched.  I came upon a common thread on both the wine mailing
list archive and transgamings site that this seems to be something with the
Live series of sound cards.

I might add that the wine list was no help as all that was there was a quint
response to the effect of, "set up your hardware correctly, this isn't the
hardware support forum".  Transgaming's site made attempts but nothing was
really resolved per se.

I checked the link last night for creative which directed me to some other
sites working on Emu101 drivers.  They were installed by default during the
system install and a quick lsmod shows them loaded.

So now here I sit with wine still not working but I keep plodding along.  My
next attack will probably be to upgrade to the latest wine either from source
or I'll grab what's on cooker and try it out.

If you or anyone else in their journeys comes accross anything that they
think might be relevant, I would be more than happy to hear it.

Brad