sendmail & realtime blackholes?

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Mar 13 11:38:28 EST 2002

RBL from mail-abuse now requires paid subscriptions for it's use.  I
believe they still offer it for free under certain circumstances, but you
need to register to use the service.

You can also try Vipul's razor, which is totally free.  It can work in
conjuntion with SpamAssassin as well....  If Blocking Spam is your overall
intent.

-Rob

> does anyone have experience setting up sendmail, or any other MTA for
> that matter with the Mail Abuse Prevention System's Realtime Blackhole
> List from mail-abuse.org? it's simple enough to configure sendmail to
> use it, just add FEATURE(dnsbl) to your sendmail.mc before you run m4
> against it, this i've done. i'm trying to test the feature and it
> doesn't appear to be doing the lookup. instructions are located at
> http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/usage.html#DNSuse and it should be really
> straight forward.
>
> something else that i'm finding bizarre, when i do an nslookup on
> blackholes.mail-abuse.org the lookup fails. regardless of what name
> server i use, unless i use the mail-abuse.org name server which tells me
> there are 3 machines serving that host. now dns by it's nature should
> just pass my lookup along until it locates the host, if it's configured
> correctly .
>
> anyone have any ideas?
>
> --
> Darin Perusich