Quick samba question

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 27 13:11:54 EDT 2002

Well, 'killall -HUP' will send a hangup to the named process(es).  A
kill is a kill is a kill...  It just sends a signal to the process.  If the
signal
happens to be a SIGKILL, then the kernel rips the process out by the roots
as long as it's not in an I/O wait state.  Most well behaved programs
trap signals and process them appropriately.  Generally, a terminate
signal (SIGTERM) is a generic signal to tell a process to go away after
cleaning up.  A hangup signal (SIGHUP) is normally sent to processes
when the controlling terminal goes away (e.g. the modem hung up)
so that they don't continue trying to send output or solicit input
from it.  For a shell, it doesn't make sense to keep running so it exits.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
Bob

=====