Another quick Samba Question

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 26 08:25:24 EDT 2002

Yep, you have it right.  Samba settings only indicate whether samba
will allow something to happen but when it comes down to it, standard
Unix permissions prevail.  If a directory is not accessable, it won't be
accessable from samba, either.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Bob
--- "Carl Yost Jr." <carlyos at Buffalo.com> wrote:
> Where does the final say in the security for the folder lay in samba shares?
> Is it the options you put into samba when you create the share such as users,
> groups, etc.... Or is it what security you have set for the folder in Linux
> itself. I am just confused because unless I go to the console and set the
> security there, nothing I seem to set under samba makes a difference. I have
> security set for user, I have the samba acting as a PDC. Is that pretty much
> how it works? Linux itself controls the security in the end ? Any help would
> be greatly appreciated. Hopefully someone understands what I asked ;).
>

>  Carl

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.