Updating packages and the rpm command

scott green_man at bluefrognet.net
Mon Jun 24 22:47:26 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 19:03, peter wrote:
> if you have an athlon, use the athlon rpm. ortherwise, use the i386 rpm.
> the cmdline should be like "rpm -Uvh <newfile>.rpm

What I had written down from the meeting was-

# rpm -uvh the.package.name.rpm

but after opening the manpage, I thought "[pick an expletive, then
delete it] !! that can't be right."

So what's INSIDE the package is more important  than the package name
itself, then. It'll still know it has to update /usr/bin/sylpheed. I
thought the package name might be some kind of "unique identifier".
I guess I still have that "REGISTRY" mindset.

Anyone else running Evolution, and having problems with daemons in the
prog dying and causing errors when they don't respawn ?

--
S. Lawton

Evolution v0.13