zip drive errors

Michael mpo1 at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 21 10:19:01 EDT 2002

Hello again all,      Well I went into my bootconfig. file and the  entry I found there was:

            #config_scsi_Izip_epp16  is not set
            #config_scsi_Izip_slow_ctr  is not set

Those were the only entries that that came up in a search.

However, in the /var/log/demesg file I found this line ------  hdd: Iomega Zip 100 atapi, atapi floppy drive. Then a couple of lines after that this line ----- hdd: no disk in drive--- followed by ---- hdd:  98304kb,  96/64/32 chs, 4096kBps, 512 sector size  2941 rpm

And in the /etc/linuxconf/archive/home-office/fstab file this line appears ------  /dev/hdd4/      /mnt/zip   ext2.   user, exec, dev, nosuid, rw, noauto, unmask=0

Other files I looked into either said that "the file exists but cannot be read" or just showed a lot of cryptic nonsense. Still other files such as /dev/scd0 do not exist on my machine.

Keeping in mind that the original and present error is still "special device - hdd4 does not exist" , is it possible to create this device somehow ?

Seeing as I don't have much useful info on my Linux partition and that my system has some trouble with root access ( possibly due to something being corrupted) I was thinking of doing a re-install. I may have not done something right during the initial install.  I''ll hold off for a while till I get some opinions.

Thanks again,
Mike