dns question

Bradley J. Bartram bradbartram at wycol.com
Wed Jun 19 12:59:51 EDT 2002

For the sake of discussion say the ip address of your www server is
192.168.20.2  what you would do is set, in your zone file, a line like this:

@	IN	A	192.168.20.2

after your start of authority section.  Then in your server name space in the
zone file, declare your servers:

www		A	192.168.20.2

Here is a zone file that works like that:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
$TTL 10800
@       IN      SOA     web.somedomain.com. admin.somedomain.com. (
                2002032600 ; Serial
                7200 ; Refresh
                3600 ; Retry
                604800 ; Expire
                10800) ; Minimum
                NS      ns1.somedomain.com.
                NS      ns2.somedomain.com.
                MX      5       mail.somedomain.com.
@       IN      A       192.168.20.2

www          A       192.168.20.2

Hope that helps.

Now if you are using name based resolution on your web server you will
probably have to do some other configs but this is assuming a DNS only
solution.

brad