I'm a newbie to Linux...

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sun Jun 16 13:57:31 EDT 2002

> I did a quick search, and I think it will work with the tulip driver, so I'm
> assuming it's a PCI card. If so you should be able to do the following
> logged in as root:
>
> echo "/sbin/modprobe tulip" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.netdevice
> chmod ugo+x /etc/rc.d/rc.netdevice
>
> Edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and setup your IP address, netmask, and
> broadcast address. Or if you're using DHCP, set DHCP to "yes".

Before I'd start going through these steps, I'd check out & see why your
linux box failed to detect the device in the first place.  Do a `dmesg` &
see if it found your NIC card upon boot.  Also, do a `lsmod` to see what
modules are currently loaded in memory.  Maybe it's finding the NIC, it's
just that there is no network software running.

> Reboot, and you should be ready to go.

This isn't windows ;)  Unless it's a kernel upgrade, or a hardware issue,
there's no need to reboot.

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me