Meeting date

Joseph Lukasiewicz jlukasiewicz at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 16 10:34:22 EDT 2002

 Ron,
The usenet stuf is great, unfortunately the volume is overwhelming and the return isn't always obvious.
I had a dream the other day about the problems I was having trying to get NT loaded on the Alpha (Sad I know, but when you are unemployed the mind wanders).  The dream kept pointing me to a few of the floppies I had for the alpha...as a lark I tried to load NT again yesterday and this time when it bombed it came up with a message "use ARCINST.EXE" to create a system partition!!!!!
I checked through the disks and sure enoug one had this file on it.  I ran it from the ARC console "Run a program" and a partition management screen opened up that could "see" the RAID partitions.  I split one of the partitions in half and formatted it FAT and started a load, due to problems I was unsuccessful with that load. So I tried again with the other partition and this time I went NTFS and after several hours of hair pulling I had a running NT 4 SP6a with IE5 running!
Not one to leave well enough alone, I kept messing with the box till I eventually killed it (Erased what I thought was the bad partition) so now I'm back at square 1a (not quite square 1).  The good news is I got to thinking there must be a similar program for my alpha (Sable) out there...Is this what MILO does for the rest of you?
There is no MILO for the Sable Alpha - of course, so I'm stuck performing everything at the command line.  The Red Hat distribution I have "boots" to a # which would allow me to run some other programs I just don't know what to try...any thoughts would be helpful.  [I have a feeling my eventual contribution to the linux community is to come up with a MILO for the Sable Alpha.]
Joe Lukasiewicz
PS. I found a guy in France with the same box but he is a newbie like me. He pulled the RAID card and forced the drive cage on the other SCSI controller and has had limited success (not all drives are visable and no RAID capability only JBOD). Does anyone have an old SCSI disk they might be willing to part with?