trash icon

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Sat Jun 15 19:37:41 EDT 2002

On 15 Jun 2002, at 12:38, frank pirrone wrote:

> frank pirrone wrote:
>
> > KDE's Trash is a directory under Desktop with this .directlory hidden
> > file.
>
> What a spaz:  that file name should of course read .directory
>
> Frank

It worked !!
Thanks. It was tricky though. I'm still using a windows 3rd party
app as an email client, so I did a Save As ... All Files and put it in
a  subdirectory. Then I booted linux and copied .directory to my
/Desktop folder. Konqueror gave it the name scott and showed it
with the full icon. I checked my desktop, and I had 2 icons, both
named trash - one with the folder, and one with the can !!

I opened the can icon, and though I only copied the dot file, it
captured the other contents of the windows directory it was
originally saved to as ITS contents, which actually made it easier
to tell what I was doing.

I went back to /Desktop and renamed trash [the folder] to oldtrash.
I then tried to delete it and got an error- cannot delete, the file or
directory trash does not exist. OK, great. I renamed scott [the can]
to trash and checked the desktop - still 2 trash icons.

In /Desktop, I deleted oldtrash and it went. Checked again, on the
desktop only one icon this time - the can. Opened it, and inside
were the contents of the windows directory it came from and the
directory oldtrash. Inside oldtrash was my deleted stuff from before.
Okay, cool. Closed it up and hit Empty Trash. Voila, the icon got
its lid back.

Scott
Registered Linux User 261118