When is Linux meeting this month

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 09:08:18 EDT 2002

A newer Distro doesn't have to have a new kernel but many often do.  An upgrade
of Mandrake (and many other distros) can be done (ie from potato to woody
Debian or 8.1 - 8.2 ) without upgrading the kernel.  Many people do this
becasue they dont require a "feature" of the new kernel.  Some software or
features of new distribution packages may indicate they need a function in a
newer version of the kernel but this is rare mostly it is software that depends
on hardware Like USB or Video or Sound stuff.

I typically put the newer Kernel on , in the case of Mandrake there were
security concerns with the earlier kernel and so the kernel package itself
appeared in the security update list in Package Manager.  However DO NOT let
the package updater "update" your kernel!!!  THere are specific instructions in
the kernel security notice on the Mandrake security website on how to get the
newer kernel installed next to your current so you can keep them both.

JJN