Small Distro Question

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Thu Jun 6 17:20:34 EDT 2002

Slackware's good for that size and shape.  Use the "expert" menus and
you can get a pretty darn small installation .... WAY less than 500 meg.
I've run Slackware dual boot on a 386/SX and a 40 Meg HD, so you can
squeeze it pretty small.  AFAIK, Mandrake and RedHat won't install on
anything less than a Pentium anymore.  I've been playing w/ Gentoo
Linux, but it needs LOTS of temp space.  The upside is you get a custom
compiled Linux precisely tuned to your hardware.

-Greg